Wednesday 13 March 2013

SHIMBASHI SOBA

Location: NEX B1-K1/02/03/04/78/79/80 
How to get there: Serangoon Mrt Station, Bus: 105, 101, 109, 100, 151, 153, 147 and so forth! (Use IRIS darlings)
Opening hours: 1100am - 2200pm daily, last order: 2130
Contact  number: 66344786


Hi all! How's your week going? Hopefully it has been fun and fulfilling so far! Have you ever decided to spend a day alone? Just alone, without any socializing, having inner peace and romping around town to just window shop or really indulge in shopping? Well, I have spent a day like that last week. I caught a Jack Neo Film: Ah Boys To Men II (laughed till my stomach hurt~good lame jokes), had a late lunch, and took a walk in the ArtScience Museum to view the Lego Exhibition by Nathan Sawaya. (It's a must go, it gave me so much insights to life in general and I took away a lot of thought from it.)

Before I start jumping into the food review; let me just add that while this one day alone for myself with no other peoples interrupting may seem easy, to actually fully allocate one whole day to yourself is never easy. To quote one of my favourite authors, Francois Lelord: It's ever so hard for one to find time for themselves. Food for thought? Wells, its good to give things like these more thought. More especially since we are in the midst of a busy lifestyle. I should also say that I thoroughly enjoyed my me time :) So perhaps you guys should squeeze out some time for yourself too?






Okay, back to Shimbashi Soba. To set the record straight, I was never a soba fan and had never ever tried cold soba because it just feels weird to have cold noodles if you know what I mean. But there I was wandering around in NEX wondering what's new for me to try and this little place caught my eye. So my mind thought: Why not? Plus, the prices are very enticing. They have a tea time special: Dessert Special at $6 and Soba Special at $8.80. I have included the menu at the bottom so you guys can get a better look! I have also included the choice of desserts you guys can choose from for the Dessert Special. I had a Mini Yukke Don which consists of a Cold Soba and a Spicy Salmon Don ($8.80), and a Matcha Tiramisu ($6). I paid a total of about: $17.40.







Cold Soba:

  • Noodles are very chewy
  • Sauce accompanying it is slightly salty, together with the seaweed, it's a good combination.
  • Pickles go very well with the soba! It does not override it's taste.
  • Seaweed provided ain't the packet seaweed (I have been to some places where they served my friends packet seaweed on top of their soba-.-)





Spicy Salmon Don:

  • They have included sesame oil inside the rice. ( I love sesame oil!) This combination makes the food so much more appetizing.
  • Salmon is fresh! 
  • Plus, they give you a good amount of salmon!
  • It is not too spicy, hence it doesn't override the salmon taste!
  • The egg yolk is little, but when mixed with rice it gives this extra stickiness to the rice which is just nice.





Matcha Tiramisu:

  • Has a strong coffee taste.
  • Rock melon goes very well with the Tiramisu! (Actually all the fruits they have chosen goes very well! But I love rock melon the best!)
  • Red bean is goooood!
  • They are very generous with the Vanilla Ice Cream!
  • I can't really taste any cheese! (good for me! I'm not much a fan of cheese)
  • Matcha taste isn't very strong. There is only a faint taste of it.



Advantages:
  • While those portions might look mini to you, trust me, they are way from mini when you down them in your tummy. They have loads of carbohydrates (rice and soba) hence they contribute to your full stomach.
  • Staff there are rather polite. They ask about your meal when you pay the bill and refill your tea without needing to be prompt.
(Pickles) 
(Fried Tempura Flour)

Disadvantages:
  • The fried tempura flour is tooo oily for liking. Doesn't taste nice alone or with the soba.
  • I felt that the orange was a little too messy to eat. They should just stick with watermelons. (But this is on a personal basis)

Note:
  • Dessert Specials start from 1430pm - 1730pm daily.
  • Tea comes together with the dessert.
  • Soba Specials start from 1500pm - 1730pm daily.
  • GST and Service Charges apply.


Overall I would say that I had a rather enjoyable experience at Shimbashi Soba! While the prices are low, they do not bent on quality. I would say that this is a place I would definitely visit again when I have the time to spare! So you darlings, perhaps you can visit this place when you've decided to take a me time trip for yourself around Singapore:) Till more food to come!

<3 FJ

No comments:

Post a Comment